According to a 2016 survey by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the number of births has exceeded the number of deaths by a good margin – 315,500 births as of 30 June 2016 compared to 159,900 deaths. The fertility age ranges (from teenage to median age) have also increased, which indicates the possible number of pregnant women looking for the best Melbourne obstetrician.
If you happen to be pregnant and are looking for tips on choosing the best obstetrics and gynaecology specialist, then you are on the right page.
Things to Consider when OB/GYN Shopping
- Compatibility – First of all, it is important that you feel comfortable talking with your obstetrician. If gender matters to you, then look for someone who is of the same sex. Be honest about how you feel when choosing your OB/GYN so as not to suffer several months of discomfort and awkwardness. Whether you choose a male or a female doctor, what’s most important is how you feel when communicating with your healthcare partner.
- Doctor’s Outlook – The more important issues that you and your doctor agreed upon, the better and more satisfying is your pregnancy. To know whether you two are in the same boat, feel free to ask questions – matters that concern about pre-natal equipment, ultrasounds and other electronic devices used for pregnancy, prenatal diet, and other pregnancy-related issues. Check out their webpage at Dr Stephen Cole
- Personal Health History – When choosing the right Melbourne obstetrician, you must also consider your health history, especially when you suffer from chronic diseases such as epilepsy, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, asthma, or allergies. Also, make sure that your doctor is aware of your previous pregnancy status (if you had complications or not) as to give you some advice on lifestyle changes during your pregnancy.
- Delivery Method – As most of obstetricians are experts of epidural delivery, there are some who also practice some other birthing methods, such as the natural type or the water birthing method. In fact, there is always one obstetrician Melbourne can offer you whom you can trust your pregnancy with.
- Expertise and Credentials – Searching for specialty doctors, especially those whose expertise includes Maternal-Fetal Medicine is the best thing you should do, especially if you have had previous pregnancy complications or if you have a chronic condition that you think might affect your pregnancy. A little research about their credentials will help a lot as well. There’s one specialty obstetrician in Melbourne whom you can consult with, Dr. Stephen Cole.
- Insurance Coverage – Finding the best Melbourne obstetrician is mostly predetermined by your insurance coverage. This is one of the most practical things that you must consider when looking for an obstetrician as having a baby is expensive. For a more convenient pregnancy, it is also better to look for a healthcare provider who is affiliated with your insurance provider, and whose residency is within your area.
- Most Number of Referrals – Of course, choosing who your close friends refer to is what most moms-to-be do as they believe that personal experiences from reliable sources are solid proofs of someone’s professional credibility.
When You Find the Right OB/GYN
Finding the right healthcare partner during your pregnancy is one of the most satisfying experiences you can have on your journey to motherhood. Just keep in mind to follow your instinct when looking for that one pregnancy professional. See more at http://www.drstephencole.com.au/best-obstetrician-obstetrics-melbourne.html